I can make this without going to the grocery store.
5 o’clock at our house is a crazy time when everybody gets hungry and starts to turn into a monster. I used to be a super planner for my farm and for meals, but now I think that better things happen without planning. Last week I was trying to come up with something to make, but I had little on hand to work with. I remembered about migas, a recipe I saw on the back of a tortilla package. I have almost everything I need to make it at our farm and there are usually the bottom of a bag of tortilla chips laying around.
2 T. oil
1 small onion, minced
1 sweet pepper, chopped
1 hot pepper, minced
1 large clove garlic, minced
3 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1 small bunch cilantro, chopped
5 eggs, mixed and seasoned with salt and pepper
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Tortilla chips, smashed
1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
2. Add peppers and onions and cook until soft.
3. Add garlic and tomatoes and cook for a few minutes.
4. Add eggs, cilantro and tortilla chips and stir occasionally until the eggs are set.
5. Add cheese and put under broiler until cheese is melted and brown.
It is also good with cooked potatoes added, corn or some leftover cooked meat. If you have tortillas and no chips, you can cut them into pieces and fry them and then proceed with recipe.
If you are really in a hurry, use some prepared salsa instead of chopping everything.