Local mini bagels
I used to make bagels a lot, but not so much recently. I have been having so much fun experimenting with Red Cat Farm grain products, I wanted to experiment with bagels on this snow day and it turned out great. Better than I thought it would.
3/4 cup wheat berries, cooked in water until soft, about an hour.
1-1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
1-1/2 cup chickpea flour
1 cup hot tap water
one pack dry yeast
1 T. sugar
1-1/2 t. salt
1. proof the yeast in the bottom of a large bowl by adding it to the warm water with the sugar until foamy.
2. Add the flours, wheat berries and salt.
3. Combine to make a dough adding more water or flour as needed. Knead for five minutes minimum.
4. divide the dough into 12 equal parts and make each part into a ball. Cover and let rise 15-20 minutes.
5. Roll each one into a rope and wrap it around two fingers and press down and roll the dough at the seam. Also generally make it into a bagel shape.
6. Cover and let rise 15-20 minutes. Start a pot of water boiling. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
7. Add the bagels and let them boil for one minute on each side.
8. Oil a baking sheet and transfer bagels to the sheet. Bake for 10 minutes on each side.
For flavored bagels, I added furikake by spreading some on the baking pan after the oil.